Monday, August 17, 2009

Studio Tour Jean Wilson

Name: Jean Wilson


Describe your studio/work area: I have a studio where I meet with clients and have samples of writing on walls. 


Do you have a day job? I do not have a job other than my envelope addressing and teaching at the Des Moines Art Center 


How did you get started in the book world? Taking bookbinding classes at the Des Moines Art Center. It dovetailed nicely with my lettering and calligraphy. I prefer my lettering to be in books or on envelopes. I am not that fond of doing framed pieces although I have a few that I like. I am much more drawn to ephemeral art.


What inspires you? Anything that is growing out of the soil. Contemporary Dutch design. Modern architecture.


What is your favorite technique? G-Tec pens on paper, pointed or flat brush on walls, cutting Tyvek.


What is one tool you couldn't live without? G-Tecs and Xacto blades. (I know that's two, but I love them equally.)


What is the most challenging part of what you do? Concentrating and not letting my mind wander when I am addressing envelopes.


What is the most rewarding? When clients get feedback on their envelopes


Where do you show/share your work? By appointment at my studio.


What drives you to work creatively in PBC? Hoping to get a Center for the Book established.

No comments:

Post a Comment